The goal of this slide deck is to help you “befriend” the science of epidemiology and to appreciate its usefulness. At the end of this presentation, you will be able to:
1. Articulate why public health social workers need knowledge of epidemiology
2. Define epidemiology and identify areas of study within the field.
3. Use existing theory to explain disease distribution within a population.
4. Use epidemiologic tools to measure disease or health outcome frequency and to compare frequencies across populations.
5. Gain familiarity with epidemiologic study designs as well as commonly referenced research and statistical concepts.
6. Identify the overlap between PHSW and epidemiology.
7. Understand ways that PHSW can be applied to epidemiology as well as ways that epidemiology can be applied to PHSW.