Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Seminar

Posted Feb 12, 2024 20:52

Hi all,

How do programs with 500+ students structure their seminar courses? I am in the process of exploring a seminar class for our school. If anyone is willing to share the structure of their seminar courses, I would appreciate it. We have appx. 40 liaisons (community embedded faculty-adjunct). We do not use full time faculty as field liaisons.

------------------------------
    Shenita Williams
    Director of Field Education
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    Richmond, VA
    804-828-0708

• 2.  RE: Seminar

Posted Feb 13, 2024 11:33
    Edited by Kayla Bueby Feb 13, 2024 11:35

Edited to remove my reply - apologies! I incorrectly replied to this post when attempting to start my own thread and can't quite figure out how to delete my reply.

• 3.  RE: Seminar

Posted Feb 14, 2024 11:38

You mentioned in your question that you have 40 community embedded field liasons who are adjuncts. I am curious about that model. Do you pay individuals as adjunct to soley do field liason work? How many students are assigned to each individual? Are they also teaching the seminar portion for those students or solely acting as liason?

Kimberly Wright
    Field Director
    University of North Alabama
    Florence AL

• 4.  RE: Seminar

Posted Feb 16, 2024 14:04

Hi Kimberly,

Our field liaisons, community embedded faculty, are paid per a caseload of students. For example, a full load of students is from 17-19 students. They are paid at the same per credit (3) rate as a traditional instructor. We are currently reviewing this practice. Also, we do not have a seminar class, which we are also reviewing. 

Shenita Williams
    Director of Field Education
    Virginia Commonwealth University
    Richmond, VA
    804-828-0708