Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Practicums and employment

Posted Jul 28, 2022 00:09
    Hello All,

We have several new students who ask about using their place of employment for their practicum.  We typically ask that if students are doing this, they have a separate role, field instructor, and complete hours outside of their employment.
    I am curious are there any instances where anybody has allowed students to use some of their employment hours toward their practicum and if so what are these circumstances?

Thank you!

------------------------------
    Tamlyn Ashford
    Assistant Professor
    Missouri Baptist university
    Saint Louis MO
    314 392 2245

• 2.  RE: Practicums and employment

Posted Jul 28, 2022 10:44
      |   view attached
    We began doing this widely once CSWE began allowing the overlap of employment tasks for practicum when aligned with competencies. I have found this to be widely successful and makes the degree much more attainable for our students who work fulltime. We have students complete a proposal that must be approved by their work supervisor, their field instructor, and our field office that outlines activates they may complete at their job that will line up with each competency, what their plan is for supervision, and what activities outside of their regular role they will take on. We strongly encourage the field instructor to be a separate person than the work supervisor but when this is not possible, we have a discussion with the supervisor about the need for separate educationally focused supervision.

We just recently updated our proposal form. I am attaching it here.

Lindsey Rinehart
    Field Education Director & Clinical Instructor
    West Virginia University
    Morgantown WV