Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Matching

Posted Aug 30, 2022 15:43
    Hi all!

I am new to this space and my role as Field Director. My office is in need of a more efficient and practical way of "matching" students to field agencies. For context, in any given semester we have approximately 700 students in field across our BSW and MSW programs. Please share the method that your Office uses to "match" students to a field site. I am curious of what happens on the back end for a Field Office comparable in size to mine. Thank you!

------------------------------
    Shenita Williams
    Director of Field Education

• 2.  RE: Matching

Posted Aug 31, 2022 12:12
    Welcome. We allow students to list 5 agency choices on their field application. This gives our placement coordinators a sense of what area of practice the student is interested in. If the choices are not available, the team will find a similar type of setting for the student. At Ohio State, we match around 1000 BSSW and MSW field students in Ohio and across the country in our online MSW program.

Take care,
    Katie

Katie Klakos
    Director of Field Education
    The Ohio State University College of Social Work
    Columbus OH

• 3.  RE: Matching

Posted Sep 01, 2022 13:11
    Wow. That's a lot of students. I am a small program so I am not sure my method would work. First of all I use Tevera and this is the first year I used the placement process. I have 150 students I place every Fall. In Tevera, they enter their Field Application. This tells us several things such as preference of population, are they currently working, do they drive and have a vehicle, etc. In February, I host a Field Exchange out in the community. All of my site placements are invited to attend. It is mandatory our students to attend this event. We run it 8:30 a.m. to noon. We usually get a good turnout of agencies. Students get to visit with field supervisors or staff to learn agency expectations , hours available, etc. We then host "Readiness Day."  This is where students get oriented on placement process, UTEP Career Center presents on interviewing, and students are able to sit one on one with us if they have more questions. The day after they enter up to 3 site selections in Tevera. Tevera provides them the POC for their choices. Students are instructed to call/email preferences and request an interview.  So far, a few glitches in Tevera, but it works! Again, we are a small program.  Not sure if this would work with so many students. I hope you have staff that helps you.

Alma R. Armendariz, MSW
    Practicum Coordinator/Clinical Instructor
    University of Texas at El Paso
    (915) 747-6595
    El Paso, TX 79968