Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Foundation Year MSW learning agreement with 2022 EPAs

Posted Dec 14, 2022 21:25
    Hoping that everyone is successfully completing their semesters and preparing for a restful break.

In preparation for 2023, we are currently revising both our MSW Foundation year and Advanced Standing learning agreement to incorporate the 2022 EPAs.  In the past, the Foundation learning agreement was slightly different than the Advance Standing, but I'm unable to determine if this is still the case with the 2022 EPAs.

Are the learning agreements the same for both Foundation and Advance Standing now?  Any advice would be appreciated.

Meg DeJong-Shier, LMSW
    West Texas A&M University

------------------------------
    Meg DeJong-Shier
    Field Director
    West Texas A&M University
    Canyon TX

• 2.  RE: Foundation Year MSW learning agreement with 2022 EPAs

Posted Dec 15, 2022 08:54
    Hi Meg, we have been discussing ours but have not made the changes yet. The way this has been explained to me is that for the foundation learn contract, you will use the new EPAS competencies and then include the practice behaviors listed under each of them. For the advanced specialized placement contract, your program needs to determine what the practice behaviors would be to meet your school's areas of specialized practice. So you would develop specialized practice behaviors to enhance each competency. At WVU our curriculum is an advanced generalist specialization, so our advanced learning contract will include specific practice behaviors to show how students will operate as advanced generalist, integrating micro, mezzo, and macro practice under each of the competencies. 

I hope that is helpful and that I'm explaining clearly enough, this will be my first time going through this process.

Lindsey Rinehart
    Field Education Director & Clinical Instructor
    West Virginia University
    Morgantown WV

• 3.  RE: Foundation Year MSW learning agreement with 2022 EPAs

Posted Dec 15, 2022 14:38
    Hi everyone. Here's what the 2022 EPAS say about this question:
    "M3.2.1 The program has at least one area of specialized practice. For each area of specialized practice, the program extends and enhances the nine social work competencies (and any additional competencies added by the program). a. The program provides its area(s) of specialized practice, as described in Educational Policy M3.2. b. The program provides its extended and enhanced nine social work competencies and corresponding behaviors (and any additional competencies added by the program) for each area of specialized practice. c. The program addresses all program options."  

Julie Kates