Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 16, 2022 12:16
    Good sunny summer afternoon my esteemed field education colleagues. I hope you are all having a restful and restorative summer. If you are like me, however, I am thinking about my perplexing field-related questions while I am gardening and walking in the woods. During the academic year, it is too busy to consider the big-picture challenges. 

I value your pearls of wisdom on the following question: In this post-pandemic era, I continue to find it challenging to place our BSW students in high-functioning field placements with licensed social workers. This past semester, I lined up several placements this past year, only to find that field instructors backed out of their commitment to supervise our BSW interns. I believe people are still recovering from this (post) pandemic world. At our College (Marist College) after vigorous preparation, we send our students on TWO placement interviews to give them choices. Given this new era of limited choices, I wonder if this model of offering two choices is something that all schools do? As the Field Coordinator, I struggled to find two options for each and every student. 

I value others' input on the following question; how many interviews do you send your students on for placement interviews (1, 2, or more?) and any other related ideas you have about matching students to durable and high-quality field placements. Thank you for your thoughts and input. I too miss the old listserve and wonder if we need more opportunities to have regular quarterly discussions via zoom about these challenging topics. A thought! Katharine Dill

------------------------------
    Katharine Dill
    Marist College
    Poughkeepsie NY
    katharine.dill@marist.edu

• 2.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 18, 2022 09:39
    Once I've identified a potential match, I will send the student a link to the agency's website (if available). If the student is interested I will then connect them to the appropriate contact at the agency to schedule an interview. We don't have a specific number of places for the student to interview at. If I know they are looking at a competitive placement, I will usually give them at least one additional option.

Myke Selha
    Field Education Director
    Grand View University
    Des Moines IA

• 3.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 18, 2022 10:09

Regarding the number of agencies at which a student must interview:  One of the possible unintended consequences of requiring students to interview at two or more agencies (especially for face to face programs in a discrete geographical area) is that some agencies will end up interviewing more than one student and then may not be "chosen" by any for an internship.  It can possibly create ill will between the agency and the program.  I tried this once years ago and then did not repeat it.  I would reserve multiple interviews only for the student who's circumstance really warrants it.  

Ruth W.

Northwestern State University

RUTH T. WEINZETTLE, PH.D., LCSW-BACS

Pronouns – she/her/hers

Department Head and Professor of Social Work

Department of Social Work

Kyser Hall | Suite 149

Northwestern State University of Louisiana

Natchitoches, LA 71497

weinzettler@nsula.edu

Office: 318-357-5491 | 318-357-5493

Fax: 318-357-4582 | Cell: 318-623-5613

Facebook

Twitter

Instagram

Vimeo

YouTube

• 4.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 20, 2022 15:21
    Ruth, a huge thank you for taking the time to respond to my query and to affirm my concerns about our own current process. I hope you are having a beautiful summer! Katharine.

Katharine Dill
    Marist College
    Newburgh NY

• 5.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 20, 2022 15:22
    Myke, thank you so much for responding to my email and offering your field pearls of wisdom! I so appreciate your time and efforts. Katharine

Katharine Dill
    Marist College
    Newburgh NY

• 6.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 18, 2022 09:48
    Hi Katharine,

Our students complete a field application. The application indicates their area of interest and the county of where they wish to be placed. We begin our search and narrow it down to one agency. The student is instructed to interview for the internship and if the interview goes well and the agency is interested, that is where the student is placed. If the student feels as though the agency would not be a good fit and asking for an alternative, we will seek out another placement, but this is rare. I would think sending each student on two interviews would be quite time consuming.

Best of luck!

Kathleen Siracusa, MSW, LCSW
    Coordinator of Field Education
    Masters in Social Work Program
    Stockton University 
    609-626-6065

• 7.  RE: Field Placement Matching in this new pandemic era

Posted Jul 20, 2022 15:23
    Kathleen, thank you, this is a very time-consuming process that we have in place at Marist, and I am desperately looking to change the process but have some minds to change :). So, thank you for taking the time to respond! I wish you a beautiful remainder of the summer. Katharine

Katharine Dill
    Marist College
    Newburgh NY