Field Directors

communities_1.jpg
 View Only
  • 1.  Field Ed Directors roles and workloads

Posted Jul 26, 2022 12:45
    Hello,
    I am working on educating our Dean about the daily job duties in the Field Education Department. I want to increase their understanding of the daily demands Field Directors experience. I thought a visual would help create a comprehensive picture of all that goes into Field Ed. Before I create one, I was wondering if anyone has done this and would be willing to share? 

Next question- our University is working on fair faculty workloads. I am curious if there are formulas that are used within Field Education to determine the caseload of Field Directors/Coordinators? I am the MSW Director and solely run the MSW FE program with an average of 75-85 active MSW students in practicum during the fall/spring (this means an additional 75-85 MSW students going through the intake, interview, placement process during fall/spring). I also teach 2 courses each semester, committees, etc. We had several student issues/disruptions this last year and the stress within agencies has been noticeably  elevated. Time is my biggest resource in this role and I find there is not enough time to fulfill the various roles. This led me to be curious if this is a current problem in Field Education or if this has been an ongoing problem

I did some research and I am going to include two great resources that indicate Field Directors have been struggling for quite some time. This tells me stress levels are high for those in Field Ed.

CSWE Field Education Survey

https://www.cswe.org/getattachment/05519d2d-7384-41fe-98b8-08a21682ed6e/State-of-Field-Education-Survey-Final-Report.aspx

Complex and Competing Demands in Field Education: A qualitative study of field director's experiences: Buck.pdf (simmons.edu)

Thanks to anyone who has time to share information or feedback:) 

Alicia Lawrence, LSCSW

Social Work Lecturer

MSW Field Education Director

Department of Social Work 

Washburn University

Email: alicia.lawrence1@washburn.edu

She/Hers/Her (What is this?)

Breath. Relax. Smile

------------------------------
    Alicia Lawrence
    Washburn University
    Topeka KS

• 2.  RE: Field Ed Directors roles and workloads

Posted Jul 27, 2022 08:39
    Good morning, 

Here are two different graphics I have used in earlier presentations if they are helpful.  I am also hoping that CSWE will do another Field Survey as so much has changed since 2017 and does not capture the impact of the pandemic.  

Traci

Traci Lilley
    Associate Director of the School and Field Directo
    LSU School of Social Work
    Baton Rouge LA

• 3.  RE: Field Ed Directors roles and workloads

Posted Jul 27, 2022 10:40
    Hi Traci,
    Thank you very much! Your visuals are exactly what I was looking for! I appreciate you taking time to send me your creations. 
    Have a wonderful day :) 

Best,
    Alicia Lawrence

Alicia Lawrence, LSCSW
    Washburn University
    Topeka KS

• 4.  RE: Field Ed Directors roles and workloads

Posted Aug 02, 2022 10:56
    Traci,

Thank you for this!!